Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Inside before




So . . .since it's been raining I haven't been able to completely set up my amazing new back yard and show all the great things that were done over the 4 day weekend. Instead I thought today we should take a quick jaunt through how my house began when I purchased it in November.


A little background on the home:


built in 1941, it is 2 bedroom, 1 bath 855 square feet with a single car detached garage.


lots of original charm like plaster walls, wood burning fire place, hardwood throughout, but with many modern updates such as dual pane vinyl windows, new kitchen appliances, updated bathroom . . .and thanks to me central heat and ac!









Here we have me scraping the asbestos filled popcorn/cottage cheese/acoustic ceiling in the master (meaning slightly larger) bedroom. I read up on diy.com and learned to tape plastic over the outlets and go at it with a pressure sprayer filled with water.




Here's my mom doing the same in the living room. It took us 2 days to scrape my bedroom, the living room, and hallway. It was totally worth it. However, the project is so messy I don't know how you could do it it you had furniture in the house. Especially since the wetter you got the ceiling the easier it was.



The first things I did to the house were scrape the ceilings, paint all surfaces in the interior, install a doggy door, put in baseboards, change out some light fixtures, and install the extra washing machine that my best friend inherited when she bought her home. Pictures and posts about all these fun activities will follow.


here's the clean popcorn free hallway with its tacky 70's light fixture.

2 comments:

  1. I love doing home projects but i doubt I could have helped with scrapping the ceilings (being short and all) but I am great at yard work since I am a mexiCAN

    ReplyDelete