Thursday, March 25, 2010

4 day weekend

Okay so this weekend is going to be huge for my home. There are several projects to be undertaken and 4 days to complete them, thanks to accrued vacation time and Caesar Chavez.



Come Monday there will be a wood deck to the right, pergola over the cement, and an ac unit on the roof!


Friday the amazing Nik and his HVAC guys (recommended by my previous landlord) are coming to install the duct work and cut the vents in my house in preparation for Saturday when they will install the unit on my roof. By Saturday evening I will have central heat and air.



Saturday and Sunday Annel my wood working guy (again recommended by landlord) is going to build a pergola over my existing cement slab and a wood deck to the right of my cement over the current large patch of dirt. Originally I had planned to use trex (composite wood) on the projects but it turns out that $2.50 a linear foot is too much for me! I also don't want to upgrade my home out of it's market. Instead I am going with the much more reasonable Douglass Fir which happens to be $0.30 a linear foot. . .yep that cheap. Prior to install I will be sealing and painting the pergola wood white and after install I will be sealing and painting the deck a darkbrown/reddish color.



There are various other home improvement projects I'm going to be tackling this weekend as well with the help of my mentor/coworker/car poolie/neighbor. This includes installing ikea shelving over my washer and dryer, a new glass shelf in my bathroom, patching the hole where the wall furnace is coming out, and installing a window to replace where the ac unit is currently. Cross your fingers for me and hopefully come Monday afternoon I'll be able to enjoy all my hard work and money spent.

3 comments: