Friday, September 10, 2010

Doggy Porthole


My dog Frank(above in doggy icu) was hit by car on August 5th, and after his brush with death and miraculous recovery I have decided that my next diy project should have his comfort in mind. That is why I have decided to install a viewing window in the fence for him.
Now there are a few option in terms of what can be installed for Frank's viewing pleasure, the first(pictured above)is the 'Pet Peek' which seems to be a kind of doggy porthole. This is the most expensive option at a whopping $29.98 plus shipping, however the product claims to include everything needed for install and I will admit the trim around the opening is appealing. What's not appealing is the amount of slobber I can imagine would end up in that acrylic dome. Since the 'Pet Peek' seems to involve the least amount of diy I was on the lookout for what else I could do that would be more budget friendly and let me get my hands a little dirty, that's when I found this. . .


















Over at http://societygarlic.blogspot.com/ they had made and then stored this great dog viewing screen in the attic for a bit before installing it in their fence much to the delight of the family dog. Now, this option appears to do the trick and be much more diy while having the added bonus of being easy on the pocket book.

There is one more option, however this seems very labor intensive and quite a bit higher on the skill level. The people at http://dogwindow.weebly.com/ have installed a dog window that goes all around their fence. It's a bargain however since the plans are available for purchase for only $7. I have to admit this option looks like the most fun for Frank, but the open space without any mesh looks like a dog bite insurance claim waiting to happen.

Back to Frank. Here is a healthy Frank before his accident, he is doing much better after 5 weeks of recovery and is ready to resume his role as king of the back yard. There are two places in my yard where I plan to install Frank's window a small side yard fence and the fence that views the driveway and neighbor's side house. I know what you're thinking, the driveway?! What kind of silly dog would want to be able to see the drive way, that would be Frank. To read more about Frank's accident please visit http://www.giveforward.org/frank



Hopefully this weekend I'll tackle this fun project for Frank. Check back to see the results of this just for Frank diy.

3 comments:

  1. Great site! I genuinely cherish how it is simple on my eyes it is. I am considering how I may be told at whatever point another post has been made. I have subscribed to your RSS which may do the trap? Have an extraordinary day! cheap dog fence

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any problems with Frank chewing at the wires or wood frame? I'm about to do a similar window but I'm undecided between leaving it open, a wire mesh, or steel bars.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Electric Dog Fence FEATURES: 1. Heavy duty steel construction Power Trencher helps you complete your work order. DMR Trenchers provides Custom Trenchers and Trencher Parts for BCS, Honda, DMR Tillers. gates and fences

    ReplyDelete