Saturday, September 4, 2010

Goodbye Window AC Unit!


Okay, I've been MIA from my DIY blog since the summer began, but let me tell you I have still be at the home improvement, in fact I've been doing so much DIY that I haven't had time to blog about it!


One of the first DIY projects of the summer was removing the really, really OLD and no longer functional window ac unit. Unfortunately the window did not have a sash (the part would close if the ac unit weren't there) so I had to buy a new custom sized window for $325 to replace the entire thing! Below you can see the ac unit after the plywood/cardboard surrounding it had been removed. Yes, the only thing separating the elements from me and the inside of my house was some soggy cardboard, not very energy efficient.


My dad was called in to help with this diy as well . . . I know not entirely diy, but removing a 500lb dinosaur and putting in a brand new window was a little out of my skill and strength range.

On the left is what we were dealing with on the outside of the house some pretty intense bolts screwed directly through the vinyl siding and into the exterior of the house.






After removing the original molding from the interior side of the window we them removed the exterior aluminum molding to allow for removal of the unit, which took some serious strength aka my dad, so i stood back and watched while he literally shoved the unit out the window and onto the driveway.


There's my dad looking pleased with his handy-work and slightly upset that I'm taking pictures instead of working!















So, after we got the ac unit out it was time to get out the half a window, with a lot of prying hammering and crow bar-ing it finally came out!

Now it was time to install the new (and expensive) window that I had custom ordered from the same company that installed the rest of the windows. I would tell you what company it was, but they were insane. Not bad customer service but actually certifiably insane, the woman at the front was out of her mind.
And, after doing some wood putty repair on the damaged window sill, installing the molding and painting it, I hung up the wood blinds and put the dining room back together. . .
















1 comment: