Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Backyard Before and During

Being new to blogging it has taken awhile to catch on to things. Since I was so busy participating in the renovation of my backyard I failed to keep you guys updated in a timely manner. Here is what I had before and a bit of how it looked going up, after pictures to come later.








BEFORE. . .




The lumber needed for the pergola and deck was dropped of the night before the projects started. The man from the lumber yard had gotten lost and was angry so he kindly dumped the entire load of lumber in my front yard and driveway.













Here is the existing lattice work that the previous owner smartly installed and grew vining plants up. Unfortunately they neglected the big dirt patch/ mud hole directly in front of the very nice lattice. Here is where I planned to place the deck.
Speaking of, here are the plans for the deck. I'll take credit for the creative vision, but the measurements and building were all done by my trusty carpenter and local Guatemalan Annel.
For everyone's inquiring mind here a longer shot of the back porch, pergola was installed over the existing cement pad and deck was built directly to the right of the cement.
DURING. . .


Once my trusty carpenter transferred the lumber to the backyard we got started on painting the pieces for the pergola. That paint job took about 4 hours longer than I had expected excluding a pit stop for more paint at home depot and lunch at Pita Pit.







The base of the deck was constructed with pressure treated lumber (that's what the green hue is).

The pergola went up on Saturday and the remainder of the deck was built on Sunday, seriously this all happened in 2 DAYS! Below is the pergola as it went up, hopefully this answers the question "what is a pergola" it is a structure that has a slatted roof to provide shade.

Lastly here is a long shot of the back of the house as the pergola was going up. . .you'll have to hold your breath for the after pictures. I don't want to post them until I finish painting the deck, which means I'll have to start painting the deck.

2 comments:

  1. Forget the house and yard, I want to see pictures of your cute carpool/paintng buddy!!

    ReplyDelete